Thursday, July 31, 2008

US attacks Iran due to recession..? who cares!!!

Placement season has started in NITK Surathkal. Everybody's slogging.
The first company to start recruiting was Accenture. Everyone's psyched about it. So, nearly half the final years attend the ppt(pre-placement talk) and write the apti. I went to try my luck too.
Round 1: Aptitude test.
55 questions. 1 hour. 11.40 a.m. Start the test.
I look at the questions. Even a 10th std student could have solved those. I looked behind at all the others writing the test. I knew i would have competition. But i was sure i was going to clear the first round at least.
"Now, i'm going to call out all those names who have been selected for the group discussion.
... Vighnesh U.. ...
.... Shashank shah....
........................
...Praveen Raj M S...."
"yes...??"
"Move over to this side of the room..."

It feels good when you are the center of attention even though if its just for 2 seconds.

Round 2: Group discussion
They called out names for the first group.. After those guys came out.. I asked one of my friends "hey what was your topic...??"
"It was silly dude.... they asked us to talk about 'pink', the colour."
" maybe they'll give us blue"
And then, the 2nd group...
"hey what topic did u get??"
" they told us some story and we had to give our opinion about that it seems. It wasn't that interesting also.."

I thought that this was going to be a piece of cake. Then they called on the 3rd group. My name was in it. So, i went in the room. The GD panelist made us all sit in a semi circle.
"okay, good afternoon everyone. Here's your topic..
Do you think US of A would or should attack Iran because of the on-going recession in their country...??"

And all of a sudden...........BLANK..............

I didn't know anything about it. I started thinking. It was the brainstorming session. ...

US attacking Iran ....
why would US attack Iran???
hmmm.... "OIL".... right on...

..... recession ........
what is it ??
value of money gets lowered...
hmmm.. speaking in economic terms... decline in country's GDP...
now, wait a min... where have i heard this....??
oh.. that's right, when jogi told me about his cousin who was working in KEANE got fired with another 400 employees... that was due to recession...
damn it.. i wish i had listened to whatever he said that day...
Coming back to reality.. how do i connect these two....???
"Okay... who wants to go first...?? "
Everybody's looking at each other's faces.
Some guy starts the discussion,
"I think the US should attack Iran.... .... .. ... ... blah blah..."
and then some other guy said otherwise...
" That's not really necessary... .... . ..... .. . blah blah......."
The discussion was going from the topic to somewhere else.. There was even a time when a guy said if this happens it'll lead to communal clashes and Al-Qaeda will attack US again..
All this time, I was just sitting quiet with a puzzled look on my face...
In the end, the GD guy tells " Let's give others also a chance" and asks me to give my opinion.
I gave a fake smile and started to tell some nonsense... and it was literally, nonsense...
And then, he gave the results and just as i expected my name was not there.

So, i thought to myself, " Whatever happens, happens for good "

And also made a resolution to read newspapers everyday....

4 comments:

Layfield said...

Lol, all the best for your placements anyway.

Why the hell will anyone start a war for a recession? Thought they were in a recession because of the war.

praveen said...

why else do u think..?
Iran has a lot of oil reserves...
Everyone would want a part of it..

BD said...

Okay..placements, a funny phase. Good luck :)

praveen said...

Thanks... need that a lot..